Mini-gastro-shunting is a new, but very promising technique due to its high efficiency and minimal risks for patients. The essence of the operation is to create a stomach of small volume by forming a small narrow tube from it (volume — about 50 ml).
Often, the name of the operation — Roux-en-Y-Bypass — describes the shape of how the small intestine at the lower end is connected via bypass surgery. Since this shape is similar to the letter Y, and Swiss Roux came up with it, referring to this procedure as Roux-en-Y-Bypass is common.
The way mini gastric bypass surgery works is simple and effective:
- A significant decrease in the size of the stomach — the amount consumed per meal is significantly reduced, the feeling of fullness comes faster.
- Delayed absorption of beneficial substances.
- Stimulation of insulin production when carbohydrates enter the body.
- The main indication for gastric bypass surgery is a BMI (body mass index) > 30 kg / m2 in combination with type 2 diabetes.
Benefits of the procedure
Mini gastric bypass surgery is not only a low-impact procedure, but is also highly effective. Performing this kind of surgery has undeniable advantages:
- Compared with classic bypass surgery, its mini version is simpler in technical implementation, has a smaller number of anamostosis and complications after it.
- When conducting mini gastric bypass surgery, a malabsorptive component is connected that provides not only high, but also a stable effect — the weight reduction occurs without failures and putting weight back on.
- Malnutrition is rarely pronounced.
- If necessary, the operation can be supplemented / converted into other surgical procedures.
Mini gastric bypass surgery in the treatment of type 2 diabetes
Bariatric surgeries, including mini gastric bypass are recommended as a treatment for type 2 diabetes. It has been proven that, when the duodenum is eliminated from the food cycle, carbohydrate metabolism in the blood quickly returns to normal, stimulating insulin production, and a parallel weight loss only stimulates this process. It was noted that after mini gastric bypass surgery, most patients no longer resort to the use of drugs that reduce blood sugar.
In our medical center «AVICENNA MED», mini gastric bypass surgery is performed by a minimally invasive method — laparoscopically (without large incisions, with only small holes) under general anesthesia using high-quality staplers and modern equipment. This ensures rapid recovery and minimizes the risk of complications.
Most of the stomach is separated, but left in the body. Together with the duodenum and part of the small intestine it is disconnected from the passage of food. Food passes from a small stomach directly into the small intestine. This approach is called bypass surgery.
The duration of the operation is about 1.5-2.5 hours. Within a few hours after the anesthesia wears off, the patient is able to move independently, and the next day — easily consume liquid food and water. Hospital stay does not exceed 3-5 days.
Turning to AVICENNA MED, you can be sure of a favorable result: we value our work and value the health of our patients!
You can make an appointment and consult a specialist by calling: