General information Duplex scanning of the main vessels of the head and neck is called differently by many experts: ultrasound (ultrasound of vessels), duplex or triplex of vessels, dopplerography of vessels of the brachiocephalic basin, angioscanning. But no matter how many names this diagnostic method has, they are all correct and describe the same informative, non-invasive examination.
The basis of duplex scanning is the use of ultrasound properties, which helps visualizing the vessels in a two-dimensional projection. Ultrasonic waves, reflected from erythrocytes (red blood cells), allow to form outlines and internal structure of blood vessels, as well as the speed and direction of blood flow.
Duplex scanning of the vessels of the head and neck is mainly used to visualize the major vital arteries responsible for blood supply to the brain. The survey is conducted in 2 modes:
- Ultrasound dopplerography, which provides information on hemodynamics — the nature and speed of blood flow, the patency of each one of the mesh of the vessels, the narrowing of their diameter, the purity and uniformity of the walls, their thinning or stretching.
- Duplex ultrasound scanning, which informs about the presence of atherosclerotic plaques and thrombi within the arteries and veins, which can cause a decrease in vascular clearance and, as a result, hampering blood flow.
Thus, in one session of duplex scanning, the diagnostician will be able to assess the condition of the artery and veins for all key indicators:
- Level of elasticity of the blood vessels.
- Have the shell and the integrity of the walls changed?
- Whether there is a pathological tortuosity and whether their course is not violated.
- Is the vessel free of abnormal formations?
- Does the small vessel branch off in an uncharacteristic for it area.
The second most important advantage of this method of diagnostics, in addition to its reliability and informativity, is safety. Ultrasound waves are harmless to the human body, so the examination can be done multiple times without any harm to patient’s health.
When is dopplerography of the vessels of the head and neck prescribed?
The planned duplex should be conducted at least once a year. This is particularly true for elderly patients. In this case, early diagnosis will be a guarantee of successful treatment, even in the absence of symptoms of the disease.
In addition to planned appointments, duplex scanning of the arteries and veins of the head and neck can be recommended by a doctor in case of:
- recurring headaches;
- head and neck injuries;
- dizziness and fainting;
- appearance of «flies» before the eyes, even at rest;
- numbness of the upper limbs;
- violation of coordination of movements and appearance of unstable gait;
- partial loss of memory;
- the appearance of «noise» in the ears;
- reduced concentration, hearing and visual acuity;
- sudden convulsions;
- osteochondrosis of the neck;
- long-term habit of smoking and sedentary lifestyle;
- severe weakness accompanied by «cold» sweat;
- vegetative-vascular dystonia;
- hypertension or hereditary predisposition to it;
- diabetes mellitus or hereditary predisposition to it;
- atherosclerosis against a background of high cholesterol, excessive weight or ischemia of the heart;
- hypotension and hereditary predisposition to it;
- migrated stroke;
- metastases in the neck and head;
- planned cardiac and vascular surgery.
What diseases can be diagnosed using the method?
Simultaneous scanning of the vessels of the head and neck with the help of ultrasound and dopplerography will help the doctor to establish diseases such as:
- anomalies in the branching, direction and patency of the vessels;
- inflammation of the arteries and veins (vasculitis);
- vascular compression syndrome;
- post thrombophlebitic disease;
- trauma to veins or arteries.
Proper preparation for the procedure
Duplex research is performed without long preparation, but still requires the patient to comply with simple rules. On the day of the procedure, it is necessary to refrain from food consumption or drinking products that enhance energy: coffee, strong black tea, tonic carbonated beverages. It is also recommended to refrain from smoking and taking stimulant drugs, the effect of which can distort the results of diagnosis.
During the procedure, the patient is asked to remove all metal objects and jewelry. Therefore, either leave them at home or prepare for the procedure right before it starts.
How is the duplex of the arteries and veins of the head and neck carried out?
As with other types of duplex scanning, the patient is placed on a medical couch in the supine position. A hard roller is placed under the patient’s head. A special gel is applied in the examination area in order to remove the «air pockets». Further diagnostics are carried out with the help of a sensor, and the doctor asks the patient to turn their head in the opposite direction of the scanner.
Evaluation of venous and arterial beds of the brain is performed through the skull bones of the patient. The doctor treats the area of the temples, forehead, occipital bone and the point of its connection with the spine with a gel and places the ultrasound sensors there.
Duplex study time varies from 40 minutes to an hour. The patient receives diagnostic results immediately.
Advantages of duplex scanning of the vessels of the head and neck in the medical center «AVICENNA MED»
- modern high-precision equipment;
- highly qualified doctors experienced with ultrasound procedures;
- comfort, thanks to the lack of queues due to precise pre-booked appointments;
- compliance of all processes with the diagnostic standards of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine;
- affordable price.
To register for duplex scanning of the vessels of the head and neck in the Center for Progressive Medicine «AVICENNA MED» you can call: